Everything You Need to Know About Collagen
Among the several proteins found in the body, collagen is probably one of the most interesting ones. It’s present in the connective tissues that make up body parts like tendons, ligaments, muscles, and primarily skin. Research shows that in addition to strengthening the body, collagen also provides structure to the skin. No wonder it’s one of the main ingredients found in skin creams and supplements!
Consuming collagen in one form or another can offer several benefits to the human body. That’s why nutritionists and skin specialists advocate including adequate quantities of collagen-rich foods like pork skin, chicken skin, beef, fish, and bone broth in the diet.
But before starting to use something, it is always a good idea to know as much as you can about it. And to help you know about collagen, we’ve put together this piece to highlight its primary aspects. Stick with us as we explore more about the protein and its benefits.
How Good Is Collagen for the Body?
Our bodies naturally produce collagen every day. However, this process slows down with age. Even so, the growing age doesn’t hamper the process of breaking down the substance. When you consume something that contains collagen, the amino acids, and peptides in the digestive system immediately break down the hydrolyzed protein so that the body can easily absorb it.
Once the body absorbs the protein, it brings about several benefits, including:
- Skin rejuvenation: Collagen brings about incredible skin improvement by strengthening it and maintaining elasticity. It even takes care of skin hydration and helps reduce wrinkles and dryness.
- Relief from joint pains: Collagen is known to structure bones. So naturally, having collagen supplements might reduce the risk of bone disorders like osteoporosis. Consuming collagen add-ons can maintain the integrity of the body. Scientifically, this is a proven remedy to stimulate the tissues to form collagen and lessen joint pains.
- Enhancement of muscle mass: With age, many people face the problem of loss in muscle mass. It is scientifically proven that taking collagen additives stimulates muscle growth and fosters the synthesis of the muscle proteins.
- Healthy heart: Collagen improves the structure of heart arteries. Its shortage may have a devastating effect on arteries as they might become fragile and narrow. This situation leads to Atherosclerosis, which might result in heart attack and stroke.
- Miscellaneous aids: Consuming collagen might help to strengthen the hair and nails. Additionally, after the gut breaks it down, collagen aids in enhancing brain health and also supports in weight-loss.
Last Few Lines
To sum up, collagen is one of the essential proteins required by your body every day. So doctors advise never to ignore its importance. Collagen supplements may provide the right quantity of the substance for your wellbeing. Hence, in any form, these should be included in your daily diet, be it food items or additives.
More in Health & Well-being
Is It Safe to See Family and Friends Again Once Stay-at-Home Orders are Lifted? Here’s What Experts Say
Because of the COVID-19 pandemic, our definition of normal has forever changed. Due to shelter-in-place orders and social distancing, family members and...May 20, 2020
Effective Ways to Fight Burnout and Maintain a Healthy Work-Life Balance
Do you feel too exhausted and overwhelmed with your work that you start to disengage and stop caring? It may be...May 19, 2020
How to Lift Your Mood and Stay Positive in The Middle of a Pandemic
Even in the best of times, staying positive can be tough. Especially in the middle of a pandemic. With the news...May 13, 2020
6 Things You Can Do During the Summer to Improve Your Career Potential
With all that is happening in the world right now and the emergence of a new normal, this summer is not...May 12, 2020
Parenting in the Time of the Pandemic: A School Psychologist’s Tips on Adjusting to the New Norm with Your Kids
Raising kids is already a tough enough job, more so in the time of the COVID-19 pandemic. Not only are you...May 7, 2020
Virtual Therapy is Becoming the New Norm for Counseling—Here’s How You Can Get the Most Out of It
As the coronavirus pandemic continues to affect public health and economies globally, rising amounts of anxiety and distress have taken a...May 5, 2020
A Doctor Explains if a Headache is a Symptom of Coronavirus
As per the World Health Organization, the most well-known symptoms of coronavirus include fever, tiredness, and a dry hack- some people...May 1, 2020
If You Want Your Kids to be Mentally Strong, Stop Saying These 5 Things to Them
Mental strength can get misinterpreted. Sometimes, your positive words about something they did or didn’t do can turn into a toxic...April 29, 2020
Improve Your Life: 4 Healthy Things to do for Yourself Today
In our busy lives, staying healthy all the time sounds tedious, and more often than not, we have no time to...April 28, 2020